home - Argentiere Pagliai
In 1841 there were twenty-six silversmiths in Florence. This number included, without any distinction: engravers and goldbeaters. The aspiring silversmiths were facilitated in learning the art of drawing and modeling by the large community of artists, painters and sculptors who were traditionally established in Florence, the capital of the Arts. This quiet unsystemathic training combined with the ‘bottega's’ work lasted until the half of the Twentieth Century.

Orlando Pagliai was born in Florence in 1906 and in the Twenties he started his apprenticeship as silversmith with Virgilio Mazzoli (Borgo S. Iacopo, 6); subsequently he worked for Silversmith Ottavio Rogai (Borgo S. Jacopo, 16) since 1931.

In January 1947, he opened his own ‘bottega's’ in Costa S. Giorgio 77 at the ground floor of the convent where Saint Catherine of Siena lived for a while.

In 1962, Orlando, with the help of his son and some workers, moved to Piazzetta de' Rossi, 2r. This location – which was in a slightly higher position than via Guicciardini – enabled to save the ‘bottega's’ which was only lapped by the flood that on November the 4th 1966 inundated the centre of Florence.

During the Sixties, Pagliai began a collaboration with Tiffany & Co., the famous international brand which was looking for expert craftsmen in Florence, heirs to the great tradition of handicraft, to make their creations in silver.

A decade after the passing of its founder Orlando Pagliai (1970), his son Paolo decided to move the ‘bottega's’ to the present headquarters: Torre dei Sapiti in Borgo S. Jacopo where everything started and where a great number of silversmiths' botteghe were situated historically.

A collection of engraved objects manufactured to celebrate births, weddings and anniversaries is preserved in the historical archive of Argentiere Pagliai.
home - Argentiere Pagliai osservatorio dei mestieri d'arte Sacred Art School Esercizi Istorici Fiorentini